Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Pink Jumper

Christmas 1963.
My brother, Garry, was on his mission in Scotland so it was Ken, Susan, Annette, Mom and Dad, and me for Christmas morning. I was all of 19 years of age. My special present was a fuzzy wool pink jumper. I loved it!

I dressed up in it the next day so I could go to the Thursday night dance at the Terrace Ballroom.


The old place was located between 4th and 5th south on Main Street in Salt Lake City. I rode in the backseat of a Volkswagon with 2 other girls to the dance.

I really didn't like going to dances because I wasn't good at dancing and usually didn't get asked but this time it was different......

......a very tall guy wearing horned-rimed glasses asked me to dance and we got somewhat acquainted during the evening. At the conclusion he asked me out for New Year's Eve and I accepted.

My life changed after that evening wearing my new pink jumper to a dance. Six months later, I married that tall guy, Bernell.
Over 20 years ago this old ballroom was torn down. Made me sad. In the 30s it was called the Coconut Grove and changed to the Rainbow Rendezvous in the 40s. Mom and Dad met there at that time. In the 50s, changed to Terrace Ballroom. In 1963, here I met Bernell and a couple of years later after Garry returned from his mission he met his wife, Deanna, there.

4 comments:

Kristi said...

I love these pictures! Fun to hear how you and Bernell met.

Emily Hartvigsen said...

So fun! I didn't know that's how you two met. I love these old pictures of you guys, especially of my dad! I think Annette looks a little bit like me when I was little.

Julie said...

I did not know about all the other meetings at that place! Quite the hot spot.

Megan Parr said...

Love the jumpsuit. Very nice.