Sunday, September 21, 2008

Plum Cake

I baked a plum cake. We have a volunteer plum tree growing behind our garage. It grows purple plums about the size of large walnuts. Don't know what kind it is but they are good for eating and making plum cake.
My mom used to make this cake when I was a kid. She'd slice the plums in half and remove the pits. Then lay them in rows on top of a thick white cake batter; sprinkle sugar on top and bake. This is similar to what her's were like only she'd make her cakes a lot larger than this one. So plum cake makes me think of her..... I miss her.

My mom was a special person whom I loved and still miss all the time. She's been gone now for over 24 years. We did many things together such as going out to lunch for a hamburger or shopping or just fixing her hair. Her fantastic dinners were something to look forward to.
I made an apple pie the other day. Mom used to make a huge apple pie in a big rectangle casserole dish so they were actually apple squares. It's funny how certain foods will remind me of her.

Eating the plum cake, yesterday, made me think of her.

I still miss my mom......


2 comments:

Julie said...

That plum cake was good, I don't think I'd ever had it before.
I was only eight when grandma died, but I do remember her a little bit.

Emily Hartvigsen said...

I've always heard she was such a great cook! I wish I took after her in that way. ha ha.